Monday, July 28, 2008

National Scrabble Championship 2008 - Day 1

Finally, the awaited day for the NSC 2008 came. It was a torture to get to Orlando, Florida from San Jose, California the night before. But that’s another story…

Anyway, this year’s NSC 2008 is hosted in sunny, warm and humid Orlando. Kinda reminds me of Malaysian/Singaporean weather actually. I even got to experience a thunderstorm on Sunday night! The kind that is so heavy, you cannot see much in front of you while driving. Yes, the place of Disney World and Universal Studios and many other theme parks.

I am playing in Division 4 this year. Jumped up from Division 6 in NSC 2006. I just made the mark for Division 4 by winning the Silicon Valley Challenge 2008 in Division 3. The wins gave me a boost to 1122 rating to qualify.

Incidently, 2008 is the 60th anniversary of the invention of Scrabble by a Alfred Butts, back in 1948. NSC 2008 had special raffles for people born in that year.

Day 1:

Game 1: I played against Jon Demeter, from the Bay Area. Imagine that! We played a number of times in the Bay Area (nine times actually, 4W-5L record) and flew hundreds of miles to end up playing against each other. Well, bad start to this tournament. Vowels loved me to death, while he gets to play INDOLES (71), SUICIDE (75), JOE (33), FIERY (37), HAVES (45), CODA (33) and EX (41). Lost 304-432.

Game 2: Against Margaret Bee, not so good either. She got two bingoes in a row, MARRInG (76) and AGIOTa(G)E (61). I challenged the second bingo unsuccessfully. Meanwhile, I get the three S in a rack and no bingoes to show for it. Changed a rack of EEVSSUU. I did have SEX (41)…pun fully intended. She played DIAZOLE (38) later which I smartly. Lost 294-352.

Game 3: Against Kevin Sears, my luck is better. Finally, my first bingo, ReJOINS (72) and QATS (47). Won 366-270.

Game 4: Against Devonna Gee, luck turned against me again. Her very first word is GRAZERS (81). Later came DIORAMA (75). It took me two blanks and a S to get DiNNeRS (81) on the triple word. Lost 338-433.

Game 5: Against Michael Donagan, it went well. I started with ZEINS (48) and soon bingoed two in a row with DRESSER (74) and ALMONDS (69). He did ELOIGNE(D) for 64. Won 393-302.

Game 6: Against Teresa Schaeffer, it was a close game. I played EXONS (62) with X on double letter to the triple word tile. Next turn, I got IODiDES (67). Won 363-326.

Game 7: Against Dallas Johnson, it was a tough one. I was the MEaNEST (69), but he INFORMS (78) and has RAVINGS (78). So then, he has a HUGE (44) win. I lost 303-442.

Ended the day with 3W-4L.

No comments: