Tuesday, July 29, 2008

National Scrabble Championship 2008 - Day 4



The winner plate for Division 4. Too far for my reach :(



Day 4, starting with new determination. I've got to win 5 games to even out win-loss record.

Game 22: Against Gene Tyzska, no luck... Started ok, and tried to keep up with him. No bingoes for me in this game. Played DINES(31) instead of KINES(49) at N14 down, because I was unsure of it (yes, back to study words). He phonied me with NOLLI(6) but I let it go because of the points. Looking back, I probably should have (could, should, would etc). He had EX (38), ZOA (32) and a well played NAP(31) and of course, bingoed first with LASHiNG. It was 259-321 towards end game, where I decided to play IF(30) to gain some points but opened up the triple-word line. Of course, he had the last blank and played iFf/fRIGATE on the triple word. Bingoed out with 78 points and grabbed 16 points from my rack. Lost 289-415.
p/s: Not very good at counting scores. Tend to 'overscore' *wink* *wink*

Game 23: Against Barbara Epstein, luck turned for me. Fourth rack, bingoed with VARA/EARTHeD (69). Then scored well with FOEHN(39), PLUG(30), HAHAS/SICK (31), SICKO/COOT(38) and other strategic plays. She bingoed with RETAiLE(D)(70) and kept close till towards the end where I pulled ahead. She later told me my SICK play blocked her SOLVENTS to the triple word. Woohoo! Won 444-307.

Game 24: Against Joan Gatthorn. Close game. Actually, a pretty low-scoring game for us both. She probably could have played her many 'S' and blank tiles better, as well as the Z, J, Q. She conned me with ZEN/ZONE(26) then picked up her tiles pretty quickly. I was slow, I guess. No bingoes for either of us. She tried GIRLIES/OYS, which I challenged off. Played EX(36) and the rest were pretty bland plays. She played TROTH(27) which is good, and OMAN(16), which is no good. I left it there unchallenged because it was so close towards the end, and I could not afford to miss a turn while slightly ahead. Won 341-317.

Game 25: Against Andy Ludwig, luck ebbed and flowed and turned bad against me. First, he LIONISE(70), then JOKE(30), then bingoed again with REALGAR(68), then NIX(47). At the end game, he had hWAN/AQUA(33). Me, I got JILT(57), then picked up the orphaned bingo EARNEST/EASTERN/NEAREST rack. Played ED to open up a line. Later, bingoed with BUTANES(71) but I missed NATTERS/RATTENS worth 80 points a turn ago. Got to memorize my RANTER 6+1 list again.... Then had HUGER(34) and WOMAN(37) towards the end, but he was too far ahead. Lost 359-462.

Got to win all three games after lunch to even out at 14W-14L. Yes, set target. Possible, yes, probable, no.

Now typing this at lunch, where I am having Asian Chicken Salad at the poolside bar & grill. It's gonna pour soon. I hope it showers some luck on me for the last three games. Signing out!

p/s: Nigel Richards, after 24 games, is tied 19W-5L with Brian Cappelleto but loses out in spread, so in 2nd position now. The others are at 19Ws, so not likely that they can catch up against the two of them.

Part 2...

Game 26: Against Jerry Schwartz, it went smooth for me. He was to started but changed tiles instead. Early on, I played ZItI(54). I challenged off two of his non-words, JULIP (should be JULEP) and NEAF (should be NEIF). I played somewhat dangerously because I wanted to get rid of the Q on my rack. I played QIND(a)R for 25, leaving the end exposed to a double-word tile. Both blanks and three of the 'S' tiles are already played out, mostly by him. There was still one 'S' tile either left in the bag or on his rack. It actually took ten turns between us before I drew it! Before playing QINDaRS/OMS(42), I scored with JAMBE(34) and BELONG(30) and picked up the 'S' tile!!! Later, a nice play of KEPT/REE/YAP/UT for 34. He played IXIA(35) and OVARY(36) but was otherwise fishing for a bingo or have a really bad game. I won 367-321.

Game 27: Against Tim Wise, my luck continued to roll. ZOA(32) early on, JIG(31), then bingoed with SOARING(66), then FUME(30) and bingoed again with MANNErS(65). He had KAY(32) and QaID(52) but was pretty much low scoring with the rest of his tiles. Won 415-289.

Game 28: Against Marie Gier, this game I deserved to lose. I had good tiles but did not see the words. She changed seven tiles on her first move, and I played ULU(7) on second turn. She bingoed with ABOIDEA(U) (72) on my U!!! I played ABUNA#(30) (British-only) but she did not challenge it. I scored well with YAH(37), JAY(29) early on and XI(56) towards the end. But I had so many missed bingoes! She had at least three of the 'S' tiles and she was fishing for a bingo, so I raced her for a bingo. But I missed the chance. I changed on my sixth turn EEIITOU and drew a blank tile. With it, I had sEVENTH, which was orphaned. Played VOTE and had up AEILOT?. The number of vowels confused the hell out of me and I did not spend the time to look for the words (had a E hook available). I should have known about fOLIATE, vIOLATE and IsOLATE. This costed me the game. Next came SHeENIE (needed a E hook), which I did not know, so I don't blame myself. She beat me to it, playing STEALER/PE/NICER for 72. I responded with XI(56) with the X on the exposed triple-word tile. Then, I picked up the second blank tile!!! Then I had EXItINg or EXILINg which was orphaned with the increasingly closed up board. The only location was a 'A' hook on top of the VOWS that she played earlier. The only play available was aEONIaN, which of course, I do not know. I was hoping to pull RETSINA, INGESTA or something, but it did not come. Lost closely 354-380. So disappointed that I did not equalize my wins-loss in this tournament. But my rating should remain pretty constant. Preliminarily, I came in with 13W-15L, ranked 81 of 114 players. I am exactly where I was supposed to be....

p/s: Nigel Richards is the US NSC 2008 Champion!! 22W-6L. He overcame Brian Cappelleto who came in second at 20W-8L. He must have been 21 vs. Brian's 20 wins in round 27. They played at least four rounds with each other.

No comments: